2. How did the two sisters respond differently to the challenge of moving back and forth between worlds?
3. Why do you think Jason was so uninterested in anything Korean in the beginning?
4. Rob was openly hostile to Jason. In what ways was Lisa just as racist?
5. Have you ever felt like you didn’t belong? In what ways did you feel different? How did you handle your situation? With which character do you most identify—Cristina, Bete, Jason, Lisa or Rob?
6. Cristina’s parents made decisions for the family that weren’t necessarily what she would have chosen. How much should parents involve children in decisions that affect their lives such as where to live?
7. Growing up is an important change. Anthropologists talk about ‘rites of passage’—ceremonies that mark significant changes in life, such as Cristina’s fifteenth birthday party. How do young people in your community mark the transition from child to young adult?