2. Why was it so hard for Ben to tell his parents what he was doing?
3. The Bradleys had a system where the kids paid half of their sports expenses. Mom said it was “so you will learn to spend money responsibly.” Do you think that is a good system? Why or why not?
4. Ben says, “At school they were always telling us about how we could be anything. What they meant was girls. Girls could be anything. But there were still things boys weren’t supposed to do.” Do you think that is true of people you know?
5. In your school, what are boys “expected” to do?
What are they expected not to do?
What about girls?
What would your friends think of a girl who plays hockey or a boy who figure skates?
6. “God is the Creator,” Mr. Bradley tells Ben. “He thought up the whole idea of beauty—and God is not a sissy.” How might that help Ben to think about his own artistic side?
7. What kept Ben from being friendly to Skag in the first place? Why was he able to change his mind at the end?